My thoughts on Sailor Moon Crystal and why you shouldn’t slam the ban hammer on it just yet if it left you a bad taste!
Personally I am in love with what I have seen so far for many reasons.
1. The art style is unique and very old school anime inspired (think Utena, Magic Knight Ray Earth, those still cells in particular SCREAM Utena inspired) mixed with Naoko Takeuchi’s style. The color pallet is modern and bright and just perfect! And let’s face it, Naoko Takeuchi’s art was never perfect, but very pretty!!
For those of you who are newer to anime I am sure the art was more of a shock. It should grow on you and you may learn to appreciate the unique artistic liberties they took on the human body. I don’t think the focus was meant to take away from her curves, it was meant to pay respects to the original art and be unique for today’s typical style.
2. The music. Yes, I have to admit in comparison so far, the old music has my heart won over wayyyy more. But you know what, avoiding the comparisons, because I don’t feel the shows should really be compared in order to form your judgment; I really enjoy Moon Pride, its lyrics and that bad ass guitar. The ending song is also very pretty!
3. Character design. From what I have seen so far, the character designs are lovely. You can see the heavy manga influence and everyone seems very true to their original creation. The modern colors on the 4 generals in particular is AWESOME!!!
The modern wardrobe on Mamoru and spiffy new tux, legit fangirl moments happened when I saw him. LOVE.
4. Voice actors. What little I have experienced so far seems great! Can’t really form a full opinion yet here.
5. That transformation scene. Well I’m old school and I can say I did not care for it. It’s pretty but I felt it seemed cheap and took away from the flow of the show. I do however, see potential in it and am interested in seeing where they go with it. 3D is really becoming the new thing and I’ll have to learn to appreciate it more.
6. Moon Tiara Boomerang! Loved that bit! Short, sweet and pretty! Also not 3D, thank god.
7. Over all opinion of the show and quality. Can’t say much here. I’ve only seen 22 minutes of a pilot episode. I can say for me personally, the good far outweighed the bad at this point. There are certainly some animation quality moments I didn’t appreciate but it has not tainted the show as a whole. They will likely get into the grove more and more as the show airs. I am very excited but I can’t stress how unfair it would be for me to form my entire opinion of the show based on one pilot episode. We have to also keep in mind this likely a lower budget show, released as a web series. I think most people were expecting top notch budget and quality.
I also feel it is very unfair to compare Crystal to the original anime. They shouldn’t really be compared at all as they are each their own thing, not to mention at this point you are comparing your opinion on 22 minutes of one show versus 200 episodes of another. Slight disadvantage there.
If you want to base your decision on crystal by comparison and not judge it as its own thing; at least give the show an entire season before you bring down the ban hammer because one is better than the other. Also, please keep in mind it is entirely possible to like one more and not completely hate the other.
Sailor Moon says!
Keep watching guys! I bet you’ll grow to love or at least enjoy this new adaption! It has lots to offer!